When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Release Date: October 26, 2016
Expiration Date: October 31, 2019
Nurses currently working in or planning to work in home health care agencies must have an under-standing of the significance of process and outcomes measurement. The Outcome and Assessment Information Set (OASIS) is a specific assessment and outcomes measurement instrument, which consists of 111 items or questions and measures patient data at various times during the patient’s stay in home care. The OASIS plays a crucial part in each patient’s assessment and reassessment at specific points during the patient’s stay in home care. Accurate, timely, and complete documentation of the OASIS is vital in determining how much an agency is paid for each care episode and provides documentation to sup-port the quality of care delivered.
The purpose of this course is to provide home healthcare nurses with the information they need to understand the significance and importance of effectively using the OASIS instrument in order to deliver comprehensive, compassionate, patient-focused, and cost sensitive skilled services in the home environment. The home healthcare nurse will be able to use the OASIS information provided in this course to create a basis for the plan of care, to measure the patient’s progress in meeting the established home health care goals, and to meet the regulatory requirements for quality reporting and reimbursement.
This course is an extract of, and should not be taken in conjunction with, Home Health Nursing: A Comprehensive Review of Practical and Professional Issues, 4th Edition (N1727).
- Apply knowledge about the Outcome and ASessment Information Set (OASIS) instrument when documenting home health patient assessments.
- Explain the evolution and purposes of the OASIS instrument.
- Describe the OASIS instrument.
- Delineate the rules about when, by whom, and how the OASIS is completed.
- Explain when and how to use Chapter 3 of the OASIS-C2 Guidance Manual.
- Recognize each of the items within the OASIS-C2 dataset.
Mary Curry Narayan, MSN, RN, HHCNS-BC, COS-C, CTN-A, is a Clinical Nurse Specialist in home health nursing and is certified as a specialist in the Outcome and Assessment Information Set (OASIS) and in transcultural nursing. Mary currently provides consultation education and quality services to home health agencies. She serves on the Editorial Board of Home Healthcare Now and has published multiple articles and book chapters on enhancing home health nursing practice. She served on the American Nurse Association’s 2014 Task Force for Home Health Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice and as the Clinical Editor of the Visiting Nurse Associations of America’s Clinical Procedure Manual.
- Contact hours will be awarded for up to one (1) year from date of purchase or through the expiration date indicated above, whichever date comes first.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.