About Course #B4325
Release Date: January 16, 2019
Expiration Date: January 16, 2022
Given the complexities of the human condition, it is not surprising that situations arise in providing mental health services that require the professional to make decisions based on competing ideals and principles. When a decision involves compromising one or more ethical standards, practitioners are faced with an ethical dilemma. This basic-level course describes the ethical provision of mental health services across a variety of practice settings such as outpatient community mental health clinics, private practice settings, and inpatient psychiatric care. The course describes common ethical concerns and uses the most recent NASW, APA, NBCC, and ACA ethics codes for guidance.
New York Social Workers - This course does NOT meet the NY Social Work Board's criteria for acceptable continuing education.
Social Workers participating in this course will receive 3 (clinical) continuing education clock hours upon successful course completion. Accreditations
Psychologists will receive 3 CE credits upon successfully completing this course. APA Approval
- Describe the core ethical principles of professional mental health practice.
- Identify effective strategies for ethical decision making.
- Explain standards for professional conduct.
- Differentiate between ethical and unethical behavior.
- Describe ethical issues related to mental health treatment and service delivery.
About the Author
Philip J. Osteen, MSW, PhD, is an associate professor at the Florida State University College of Social Work, where he teaches master's- and doctoral-level courses. He has more than 20 years of experience in community mental health and public health, as well as teaching experience at the University of Maryland, Baltimore, School of Social Work. He received his graduate-level education at the University of Denver, earning an MSW in 1998 and dual doctoral degrees in social work and quantitative research methods in 2009.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- bvseo_sdk, p_sdk, 3.2.0
- CLOUD, getContent, 26.13ms
- REVIEWS, PRODUCT
- bvseo-msg: HTTP status code of 404 was returned;