About Course #V7281
Release Date: September 5, 2017
Expiration Date: September 30, 2020
This course provides a comprehensive coverage of scientific and clinical evidence for successful weaning from mechanical ventilation for respiratory therapists. Major topics in this course include: indications for mechanical ventilation, factors affecting readiness for weaning, clinical considerations, criteria for weaning and discontinuance, monitoring parameters and adverse reactions, progressive withdrawal of mechanical ventilation, and spontaneous breathing trial (SBT), SBT procedures and SBT failure. Clinical practice exercise with discussion are also included at the end of this course. Pre-test and post-test questions are used to assess learning outcomes. A list of references is provided as a guide for additional reading.
- List the indications for mechanical ventilation.
- Describe the factors affecting the readiness for weaning from mechanical ventilation.
- Describe the criteria and thresholds for weaning from mechanical ventilation.
- Describe the criteria and thresholds for discontinuance from mechanical ventilation, including the calculation and interpretation of the rapid shallow breathing index.
- Describe the ventilator mode for progressive withdrawal of mechanical ventilation.
- Outline the procedure for spontaneous breathing trial.
About the Author(s)
David W. Chang, EdD, RRT, CTTS, is a professor of cardio-respiratory care at the University of South Alabama and a certified tobacco treatment specialist. He has served on many committees and in many capacities at the American Association for Respiratory Care, the National Board for respiratory Care, and the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care. Dr. Chang's special interests are in research and mechanical ventilation. He has published five textbooks and developed an open source website, rtexam.com, for students and practitioners. In his spare time, Dr. Chang conducts an ongoing smoking cessation program at Victory Health Partners, which is a community health clinic for uninsured adults.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
Find Evidence-Based Strategies for Weaning From Mechanical Ventilation - V7281 in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington DC
- West Virginia