About Course #V7304
Release Date: February 28, 2018
Expiration Date: February 28, 2021
Audio Book Available | This advanced level course covers the essential ethical principles for respiratory therapists and other healthcare providers. The contents of this course include many ethical issues that respiratory therapists and others may encounter in patient care settings. Additional contents include discussions on professional moral dilemmas, ethical theories (e.g., utilitarianism, deontologic ethics (Kantianism), social contract theory, virtue ethics). Examples are used to illustrate principles that guide ethical decision making. Case studies are used throughout this course to reinforce understanding and learning of the essential ethical principles.
Note: Access to the supplemental audio book will be provided after purchase.
California RTs - This course is not approved to fulfill your law and ethics requirement.
New Jersey, Nevada, Ohio and Tennessee RTs - This course fulfills your ethics requirement.
- Describe the study of ethics and the main differences across various schools of ethical theories.
- Recognize the principles that guide ethical decision making in the health professions as listed in the American Association for Respiratory Care Statement of Ethics and Professional Conduct.
- Explain the ethical decision-making process within the professional healthcare setting.
- Discuss approaches to clinical decision making using the SOAP method.
- Describe professional codes of ethics and the legal implications and repercussions within the guiding rulings of health professions.
About the Author
Julio F. Turrens, PhD, is professor emeritus of biomedical sciences in the Pat Capps Covey College of Allied Health Professions at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. He received his doctorate degree in chemistry (biochemistry) from the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. In addition to his career in basic research, he has taught several courses in the areas of bioethics and responsible conduct of research to both undergraduate and graduate students. He designed the senior-level bioethics course, issues in biomedical sciences, that covers various topics ranging from ethics in society, science, and research integrity.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.