About Course #V7290
Release Date: August 27, 2019
Expiration Date: September 17, 2020
This intermediate course for respiratory therapists provides a review and update on the current practice of secretion clearance and hyperinflation therapy. Under the main heading of airway secretion clearance, the following topics are covered: direct cough, huff maneuver, autogenic drainage, postural drainage therapy, positioning, percussion, vibration, electrical precursors, high frequency chest wall compression, chest wall oscillation, and PAP adjuncts. Under hyperinflation therapy, topics include deep breathing exercise, incentive spirometry and mechanical assist devices. The effectiveness of these techniques and devices are discussed. The learners should be able to select the appropriate method or equipment for patients to achieve optimal secretion clearance and improved ventilation.
- Describe the physiology of airway mucus clearance, including normal function and the mechanisms and impact of impaired function.
- Understand the indications for airway clearance therapy and list the techniques and methods used in clinical practice.
- Understand hyperinflation, or volume expansion therapy, and describe both spontaneous and mechanically assisted techniques and methods.
About the Author(s)
Brian Parker, MPH, RRT-NPS, RHDS, has been a practicing respiratory therapist since 1964. His background includes clinical assignments in routine care and critical care, as well as in education, management, and marketing. His clinical assignments have included patients at high risk (organ transplant, burns, trauma) who require strict adherence to infection control principles. Mr. Parker's clinical education assignments included departmental management responsibilities for infection control and quality assurance at a large university-affiliated medical center.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.