About Course #Q3525
Release Date: January 8, 2019
Expiration Date: January 8, 2022
An older adult falls every second of every day, with more than 29 million falls occurring in 2014, resulting in more than 7 million injuries. This intermediate-level course provides healthcare professionals in the areas of physical and occupational therapy with the knowledge they need to successfully identify those at risk for falls, assess individuals, and develop interventions targeted at reducing fall risk in older adults. Although therapists may be aware of the need to assess and treat older adults for risk for falls, they may not be fully abreast of approaches that are supported by evidence and are proven to truly reduce the incidence of falls.
Texas PTs and PTAs - This activity is provided by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners Accredited Provider #2211021TX and meets continuing competence requirements for PT and PTA license renewal in Texas.
About the Author(s)
Sara Migliarese, PT, PhD, NCS, has been a physical therapist for more than 30 years, specializing in adult neurorehabilitation. She received her MSPT degree from Texas Woman's University in 1985 and worked at The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research (TIRR) in Houston before moving to North Carolina, where she practiced physical therapy at Forsyth Memorial Hospital and Gentiva Home Health Services. Dr. Migliarese received her certification in neurology from the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) in 1995, recertification in neurology in 2005 and 2014 from the APTA, and Herdman certification in vestibular rehabilitation in 2008..
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
Find Preventing Falls in Older Adults - Q3525 in your state
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- Washington DC