About Course #Q3534
Release Date: January 5, 2018
Expiration Date: April 1, 2021
This intermediate level course is designed to educate PTs and PTAs on the implementation of exercise prescriptions in older adults. This course reviews the multiple age-related systemic changes that take place in the cardiovascular, respiratory, endocrine and musculoskeletal systems and describe how exercise may mitigate these changes. Recommended exercise prescriptions according to the most recent American College of Sports Medicine guidelines for older adults are provided. Additionally, the course covers common barriers for exercise participation in older adults.
About the Author(s)
Odessa Addison, DPT, PhD, is a physical therapist with many years of experience working with older adults. Dr. Addison received her DPT in 2005 and a doctorate in rehabilitation science in 2012, both from the University of Utah, where her focus of study was neuromuscular adaptations in the older adult. Her dissertation focused on how physical activity influenced inflammation, fat in the muscle, and mobility in older adults. Dr. Addison has presented at the American Diabetes Association, the American Physical Therapy Association Combined Section, the Gerontological Society of America, and the International Conference for Sarcopenia and Frailty Research.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
Find Exercise Prescription and Management of the Older Adult: An Evidence-Based Approach - Q3534 in your state
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- Washington DC