About Course #Y8025
Release Date: August 28, 2017
Expiration Date: August 28, 2020
Gingko biloba is an herbal product obtained from a long-lived tree that has been cultivated and used as a therapeutic agent in Asia for centuries. The active principles are thought to be flavonoids and terpenoids that have antioxidant, vasodilating, and antiplatelet activity. Many indications have been proposed for Gingko biloba, but none has received strong evidence-based support to date; among the most-studied indications are cognition and dementia. Consumers have difficulty evaluating the literature and making appropriate choices with regard to the uses, dosing, adverse effects, interactions, and product quality of gingko. Pharmacists who are knowledgeable about ginkgo supplements can assist patients in the appropriate use of these products to achieve better health.
Universal Activity Number (UAN) - 0607-0000-17-025-H01-P
Type of Activity - Knowledge
Topic Designator - 01 - Disease State Management/Drug Therapy
- Identify the components of ginkgo responsible for their effectiveness.
- List potential uses of ginkgo based on the evidence for their effectiveness.
- Explain common adverse effects and safety concerns when using ginkgo.
- Identify practical considerations of the use of ginkgo to the education of patients using these products.
- Recognize the role of ginkgo compared to other products used for the same conditions.
About the Author
Peggy Piascik, PhD, RPh, received her bachelor of science degree in Pharmacy from Ohio Northern University (ONU) and a PhD in Pharmacology from the Ohio State University (OSU) College of Pharmacy. She is a professor of Pharmacy Practice and Science at the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy (UKCOP). Dr. Piascik speaks at continuing education conferences on the topics of new drugs, dietary supplements, and personalized medicine. She teaches a problem-based elective course in the area of herbal and dietary supplements and co-coordinates an elective course in behavior modification coaching.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
Find Ginkgo Supplementation: Uses, Effectiveness, and Safety - Y8025 in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- US Virgin Islands
- Washington DC
- West Virginia