The Nurse's Role in Pediatric Immunizations
About the Course
The purpose of this course is to increase nurses’ knowledge of recommended pediatric immunizations to improve patient education and adherence to immunization schedules. Nurses will understand vaccine-preventable diseases, including symptoms, incubation periods, and transmission. Nurses will understand the recommended pediatric vaccine schedule and deviations from this schedule in order to properly administer vaccines.?
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the history of vaccines.
- Describe how vaccines provide protection against disease.
- Identify the 12 current vaccinations recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the child and adolescent immunization schedule.
- Describe the CDC’s catch-up vaccine schedule.
- Discuss how these vaccine-preventable diseases are dangerous to children due to their mode of transmission and symptoms.
- Explain the current recommendation for the COVID-19 vaccine in children.
- Identify contraindications and potential adverse effects of vaccines.
- Discuss the safety and efficacy of vaccines.
- Discuss common concerns and misconceptions about the safety and efficacy of vaccines.
- Discuss the information required to be given to a patient prior to receiving a vaccine.
- Describe the Vaccine Adverse Effects Reporting System.
- Identify elements of vaccination documentation.
About the Author
Margaret Hughes MSN, RN, PMHNP, CPNP-PC, is a dual-certified psychiatric-mental health and pediatric nurse practitioner who graduated from the Yale School of Nursing in 2016 and from Northeastern University School of Nursing in 2021. She currently works at a small outpatient psychiatric practice in Boston providing psychiatric care across the life span. Prior to this, she worked at a university health center providing healthcare to college students and has also worked at community-based and school-based health centers providing primary care to high-risk medically underserved populations. She also has experience as a nurse and worked in an outpatient pediatric clinic in Connecticut and at an overnight summer camp in New York.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest*
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.?
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.?
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.?