Prescribing Strategies for Older Adults
About the Course
This course will explore the intricacies of pharmacological principles and their profound impact on choosing the perfect medications enhancing the learners' ability to effectively apply pharmacologic principles to the medication selection process for the older adult. It will examine the age-related changes influencing medication effectiveness and adverse drug effects. The course addresses the challenges and complexities of medication management in the aging population, considering factors such as disease burdens, cognitive and organ system decline, and social determinants of health.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Explain the importance of applying pharmacologic principles to the medication selection process.
- Differentiate the four major components that comprise the pharmacokinetic aspects of medication exposure.
- Identify age-related changes in organ function and/or body composition associated with adverse drug effects.
- Compare several reliable information sources to guide the selection or avoidance of medication use in older adults.
- Interpret the relationship between pharmacogenomics and medication response.
- Apply the core elements of a comprehensive medication review to patient care.
About the Author/Presenter
Dr. Luke A. Probst, PharmD, BCPS, CPGx is a pharmacist with over 35 years of practice experience. Most of his career has been spent in academic medical centers in clinical, administrative/leadership, and educational roles. His scope of expertise encompasses adult and pediatric patients. He has contributed to many translational research efforts; coauthored 40 publications; precepted and taught pharmacology-related topics to various healthcare students; and delivered numerous invited presentations at state, local, and national conferences. He is a board-certified pharmacotherapy specialist and pharmacogenomics-certified clinician.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. (Provider #0607). Your hours will be reported to CPE Monitor within 10 business days after course completion
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmaceutical education. (Provider #0607).