Pain Management and Opioid Use for Pennsylvania Advanced Practice Nurses
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBookAbout the Course
In accordance with Section 9.1(a) of ABC-MAP, this course meets the requirements for advanced practice nurse prescribers. This course includes two hours of pain management and identification of addiction and two contact hours in the practices of prescribing and dispensing opioids.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Discuss the scope of opioid use, to include the frequency of abuse and fatal overdoses.
- Understand the risks and benefits of providing pain relief with opioid medications.
- Identify the increased risk of side effects from opioid medications in patients with mental health disorders.
- Recognize treatment for pain caused by different pathologies.
- Identify equivalent opioid doses to best manage medication changes.
- Be able to list at least three characteristics associated with an addicted patient.
- Name at least one key step in the process of treating an addiction to opioids.
- Describe which class of medication overdoses can be treated with naloxone.
- Describe the concepts of prescription drug abuse, misuse, addiction, and diversion, including recognition, risk factors, and prevention.
- Explain the laws pertaining to the prescribing of controlled substances, including medication schedules, prescription-filling rules, and registration requirements.
- Discuss the management of pain, including evaluation, treatment, and medications used.
- Describe steps necessary to ensure safe and effective prescribing of controlled substances, including professional documentation, patient–provider agreements, and informed consent.
Shellie D. Hill DNP, FNP-BC, is an assistant professor in the MSN-NP program at Saint Louis University. She teaches the clinical courses for the family nurse practitioner students, and she teaches advanced health assessment with clinical decision making and health promotion to MSN students. She has been a practicing family nurse practitioner for 19 years and an RN for 25 years. Most of her practice has been in primary care, but she also has experience in urgent care and cardiology. Her current practice is in corporate health.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 4-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.?
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.?
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.?