Nursing Care of the Postmenopausal Woman, 3rd Edition
About the Course
This course describes the changes that a postmenopausal woman experiences in various aspects of her life, including physiologic and psychologic changes. It provides the learner with information regarding alterations to a woman’s sexual self after menopause, periodic screenings needed to reduce the mortality and morbidity of aging women, and a review of how a woman’s health is affected as she ages.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe female sexuality during menopause.
- Interpret the psychological processes inherent in sexual arousal.
- Summarize the stages of sexual arousal.
- Discuss the psychological issues that accompany the menopausal transition.
- Interpret common physical symptoms associated with sexual dysfunction after menopause.
- Describe the components of a sexual history.
- Describe issues related to contraception after menopause.
- Differentiate between primordial, primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary prevention.
- Summarize the various screening tests for women of middle age and beyond.
- Explain how often the various screening tests should be performed.
- Discuss potential health difficulties experienced by aging women.
- Outline the role of nurses in the care of aging women.
- Discuss the chronic illnesses that can affect the aging woman.
- Explain the risks for elder mistreatment.
- Summarize the importance of reviewing aging women’s medication lists for potential dangers resulting from polypharmacy.
About the Author
Deborah Stiffler, PhD, RN, CNM, has more than 30 years of nursing experience caring for women of all ages and sociodemographic backgrounds. Dr. Stiffler is a professor at Indiana University School of Nursing and has served the Indiana University School of Nursing in various capacities since 2000. She is currently serving as a department chair. In addition to serving as a nurse educator, Dr. Stiffler has contributed to the women’s health profession by using an interprofessional approach to her practice as a certified nurse-midwife, integrating social work, pharmacy, radiology, physical therapy, genetic counseling, and much more into the clinical setting. In addition to her clinical experience, Dr. Stiffler has authored many research publications on women’s health issues.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 5-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest*
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.?
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.?
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.?