New Jersey Suicide Assessment and Prevention for Advance Practice Nurses - N38201
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to do the following:
- Discuss the incidence, prevalence, and impact of suicide in the United States and New Jersey.
- Differentiate between the etiologies of suicide and non-suicidal injury.
- Identify risk factors and protective factors for suicide.
- Select appropriate ways for nurses to assess and screen patients at risk for suicide.
- Describe treatment and management of suicidal ideations (management of suicidal behaviors).
- Address safety for patients who are at risk for suicide through lethal means removal and creation of a crisis-response plan.
- Identify various resources available to assist health-care providers in New Jersey in managing suicidal risk in patients.
Kelly Crum, PhD(c), MSN, RN,is a nursing education consultant serving schools on accreditation, faculty and program development, and curriculum matters. In addition, she currently serves as an international nursing education consultant and is the expert nurse consultant for Shanghai University of Medicine and Health Sciences. With 27 years of nursing education experience, she has held various nursing positions in both clinical and academic settings. Her passion for curriculum and expertise in teaching are the foundations for her endeavors to educate the educator. This passion is reflected in her writing and conference topics. Currently, she has over 30 workbook titles published with Elsevier, primarily in the areas of maternity, pediatrics, and simulation case studies. Ms. Crum’s conference topics include Competency Based Education in Egypt, The Professor’s Role in BSN Education in Guatemala, Building the Nurse Educator’s Capacity to Instruct Students in Managing Chronic Care Across the Lifespan in China, and Clinical Evaluation Best Practices in the United States. In practice, her focus is on international humanitarian work and community volunteerism, as well as her role as a hospice and palliative care nurse.
How to receive credit:
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- Complete the self-assessment quiz questions which are at the end of the course or integrated throughout the course. These questions are NOT GRADED. The correct answer is shown after you answer the question. If the incorrect answer is selected, the rationale for the correct answer is provided. These questions help to affirm what you have learned from the course.
- Depending on your state requirements you will then be asked to complete either:
- An affirmation that you have completed the educational activity
- A mandatory test (a passing score of 70 percent is required). Test questions link content to learning objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- If requested, provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory Course Evaluation
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
In accordance with the ANCC Standards for Commercial Support for continuing education, Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition
©2021: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
All individuals involved have disclosed that they have no significant financial or other conflicts of interest pertaining to this course. Likewise, and in compliance with California Assembly Bill No. 241, every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the content in this course is balanced and unbiased.