Mental Health Disorders in the United States Veteran Population
About the Course
Veterans have been involved in wars for decades. Recent research indicates there are approximately 19 million veterans. The population includes veterans from World War II to the Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom eras. Because wars have been a fact of life for so much of history, war-related mental health issues have also been around for much of history and may have been left untreated based on lack of resources, stigma, and case complexity. Therefore, the purpose of this education program is to assist the learner in recognizing mental health disorders, the disorders’ psychosocial effects, and treatment options for veterans and their families.
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify three common mental health disorders in veterans.
- Differentiate between the common mental health disorders in veterans.
- Discuss psychosocial effects mental health has on veterans.
- Describe the effects a veteran’s mental health has on their family.
- Evaluate veterans utilizing appropriate screening tools.
- Explain treatment interventions for mental health disorders.
About the Author
Daphne Essex, DNP, PMHNP-BC, FNP-C, is a professionally trained family and psychiatric nurse practitioner in Alabama. She has worked as a nurse practitioner for more than 20 years and has vast experience as a nurse educator. She serves in the military (Air Force and Alabama Air National Guard) and has firsthand knowledge of the importance of mental healthcare for veterans.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.