HIV/AIDS Update: Prevention, Transmission, and Treatment, 2nd Edition
About the Course
The purpose of this course is to enhance healthcare providers’ knowledge of HIV/AIDS infection, including prevention, transmission, and treatment. An estimated 1.2 million people are living with HIV/AIDS infection in the U.S. CDC. HIV/AIDS infection is a persistent public health problem in the U.S. and worldwide. In 2018, an estimated 36,400 new HIV infections were diagnosed. HIV is disproportionately present in certain racial and ethnic minorities and in gay and bisexual men (HIV.gov, 2020b). It is imperative that all healthcare professionals work to prevent HIV transmission and facilitate treatment among those infected. This course provides nurses with information about HIV/AIDS incidence, prevalence, transmission, prevention, and treatments.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Analyze the historical progression of the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
- Examine the incidence, prevalence, and associated risks related to HIV/AIDs.
- Recognize the pathophysiology, screening procedures, modes of transmission and diagnostic methods for HIV/AIDS infection.
- Recognize populations most at risk for contracting HIV/AIDS.
- Examine current treatment options for HIV/AIDS infection.
- Analyze the various opportunistic infections associated with HIV/AIDS, including their pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and management strategies.
- Evaluate preventive strategies and educational campaigns aimed at HIV infection for the public sector and healthcare workers.
About the Author/Presenter
Dr. Caldwell has worked in various healthcare settings throughout her 33-year career, including emergency nursing, primary care, nursing education, urgent care, and mental health. She has an extensive background in nursing education at community colleges and universities, with expertise in undergraduate mental health nursing, graduate clinical development, implementation, and oversight of a family nurse practitioner program. In addition, she has published and presented on topics related to nursing and mental health, as well as patient outcomes at local, state, and national venues. Dr. Caldwell practices in rural family and mental healthcare.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2024: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.