Guidelines for Safe and Effective Controlled Substance Prescribing for Florida HC Professionals
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBookAbout the Course
This course serves to provide an overview of the safe and effective prescribing of controlled substances and three of the most common disease states that warrant more frequent prescribing of controlled substances. This course meets the Florida three contact hour pharmacology course requirement for safe and effective controlled prescribing practices for advanced practice registered nurses.
Activity Type - Knowledge-based
Target Audience - Nurses, Pharmacists, not for technician use
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Distinguish between the concepts of substance misuse, substance use disorder, and drug diversion, including risk factors and prevention.
- Examine the federal and Florida-specific laws pertaining to prescribing and dispensing of controlled substances, including medication schedules and prescription filling rules.
- Demonstrate understanding of the management of pain, including evaluation, treatment, medications used, and roles of healthcare team members.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the management of ADHD and anxiety, including patient evaluation and controlled substances used in treatment.
- Describe steps necessary to ensure safe and effective prescribing of controlled substances, including professional documentation, patient-provider agreements, and informed consent.
Katie Blair, PharmD, RPh, is a pharmacist and freelance writer specializing in pharmacy education. She works as a consultant pharmacist in Vancouver, Washington, serving long-term care facilities in the area. Dr. Blair also has over 6 years of experience working as a staff pharmacist at a community pharmacy in Seattle. She graduated from Northeastern University in Boston in 2009 with a doctor of pharmacy degree. She has done freelance work writing and revising continuing education programs for pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and nurses, as well as writing practice questions for various pharmacy technician exams.
- Contact hours will be awarded through the expiration date.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and have your record of completion submitted through CPE Monitor and to the NABP.
- Through our review process, Colibri Healthcare, LLC ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Colibri Healthcare, LLC's policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.