Florida Laws and Rules Governing Nursing Practice
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBookAbout the Course
The legislature in the state of Florida, under Title XXXII of the Florida Statutes, determines the laws and rules regulating nursing practice in the state. The purpose of their action is to protect the public and preserve the health, safety, and welfare of the people in the state. It is under Title XXXII that the primary laws that regulate the practice of nursing in Florida are detailed. This course explores these rules and laws as they are defined for registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, advanced practice registered nurses, autonomous advanced practice registered nurses, and unlicensed assistive personnel in Florida. The Florida Board of Nursing requires every licensed nurse to complete a two-contact-hour course on the laws and rules that govern the practice of nursing in Florida as part of each biennial renewal cycle. This course meets the Florida nursing law continuing education requirement for nursing relicensure.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify two Florida statutes (laws) of Title XXXII that regulate the practice of nursing in Florida.
- Describe four levels of nursing licenses/practice in Florida and the general scope of practice of each.
- Identify at least four continuing education topics required for Florida nursing license renewal.
- Identify at least five grounds for disciplinary action noted in Rule 64B9-8.005 of the Florida Administrative Code.
- Describe at least four tasks that may not be delegated to unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Identify at least three recent Florida law changes that impact the practice of nursing.
About the Author
June Thompson, DrPH, MSN, RN, FAEN, has a long history of working in emergency care, injury prevention, and publishing. She holds a doctoral degree in public health with an emphasis in injury epidemiology and health services administration. Dr. Thompson has held academic positions at the Ohio State University, the University of Texas, and the University of New Mexico. She is currently living and working in Florida.
About the Reviewer
Maria Morales, MSN, RN, CLNC, is a certified legal nurse consultant with a history of clinical, managerial, and executive nursing experience. Her clinical background includes critical care/perianesthesia nursing. Within the continuing education field, she has managed and directed nursing, medicine, pharmacy, and allied health educational programs and initiatives.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Dr. Thompson has disclosed she has no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Accredited Provider Program Director (AP-PD)
Deborah Martin, DNP, MBA, RN, NE-BC, FACHE, Director of Learning Innovation Colibri Healthcare, LLC
Course ID: 71904