Ethical and Legal Issues in Nursing Practice
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBookAbout the Course
Legal issues in nursing are based on legislation, practice standards, and licensure. Ethical issues, on the other hand, are often based on subjective values of “right” and “wrong.” The purpose of this course is to help nurses deal with many of the ethical issues they face in their professional practice, as well as legal considerations that may impact ethical issues of patient care.
Author’s Note: This education program is not a substitute for, nor is it intended to be, legal/ethical counseling or legal/ethical advice. For specific legal/ethical advice pertaining to you and your practice, consult appropriate legal authorities or ethical experts.
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe how nursing scope of practice and standards of professional nursing practice govern nursing.
- Explain how state nurse practice acts define and describe nursing practice.
- Describe how the act of delegation is encompassed in the nurse practice act.
- Correlate nursing professional boundaries with appropriate nursing practice.
- Discuss legal and ethical implications of nursing practice.
- Describe professional guidelines for use of social media.
- Discuss how a just culture impacts nursing.
About the Author
Margaret-Ann Carno, PhD, MBA, MJ, PNP-AC/PC, ATSF, FAAN, is an educator, practitioner, and researcher. Her passions are healthcare law, regulations, and research regulations. She obtained a master’s in jurisprudence from Loyola University Chicago, School of Law, with a concentration in Health Law. She regularly teaches on these subjects.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 7-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Course ID: 64442