Diagnosis and Management of Tick-Borne Illnesses, 2nd Edition
About the Course
This course will review the epidemiology, etiology, clinical presentation, workup, and management of three tick-borne conditions that are increasing in prevalence around the U.S.: Lyme disease, Powassan virus, and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. This course will help nurses distinguish between these tick-borne diseases, viral illnesses, and erythematous rashes. Additionally, the course will review post–Lyme disease syndrome, Lyme disease coinfection treatment, and tick attachment prevention.
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Differentiate Lyme disease, Powassan virus, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and other common tick-borne illnesses based on history and examination.
- Compare the other tick-borne diseases that may exist with Lyme disease infection.
- Choose diagnostic testing for Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
- Choose appropriate education to teach people how to prevent tick attachment, properly remove ticks, and manage tick bites without vector-borne disease symptoms.
- Analyze the evidence for early doxycycline treatment for Rocky Mountain spotted fever in children.
About the Author
Margaret-Ann Carno, Ph.D., CPNP- AC/PC, CNE, FAAN, grew up in the Northeast and remembered when Lyme disease was first described. Dr. Carno received her BS in nursing and an MSN from Syracuse University. She received her Ph.D. from the University of Pittsburgh and her post-master certificate as a pediatric nurse practitioner in Acute Care and Primary Care from the University of Rochester School of Nursing. She has always had an interest in infectious diseases. She is a certified pediatric nurse practitioner, practices in pediatric sleep medicine, teaches across all levels of nursing education, and is a certified nurse educator.
How to Receive
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.