Core Stroke Team
About the Course
This course aims to educate healthcare professionals on primary stroke center clinical practice guidelines. Exploring evidence-based recommendations and best practices for stroke care will enhance participants' ability to deliver standardized and timely care, resulting in improved outcomes and increased patient satisfaction.
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe incidence, signs & symptoms, subtypes, pathogenic mechanism, and risk factors associated with stroke.?
- Explain anatomy?and physiology to?include vascular?territories and?common locations?for strokes.
- Recognize the pathophysiology of ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes.
- Recognize stroke clinical manifestations?.
- Describe stroke prevention interventions.
- Describe pre-hospital and acute care management of stroke patients.
- Summarize the stroke chain or survival.
- Describe the emergency department time frame for stroke survival
- Describe acute care management of the stroke patient in the critical care setting.
- Educate patient and families about the problem areas that medication groups, to include medication name, dose, schedule, route, technique of administration, expected response, adverse effects, drug-drug and food-drug interactions.
- Describe the role of the interdisciplinary care team?in stroke recovery.
- Describe the levels of rehabilitation care (Acute, Subacute, Long-Term, Assisted Living, Home Health).
- Explain Neuroplasticity and Stroke Recovery.
- Identify levels of stroke center certification by certifying bodies??.
- Explain core measures required for stroke patient management.?
- Describe stroke protocols and pathways.??
- Identify the roles of the acute stroke team.??
- Implement methodology for quality improvement projects to improve stroke outcomes??.
- Choose appropriate tools for performance improvement for stroke care patients.
About the Presenter
Wendy Dusenbury, PhD, DNP, FNP-BC, AGACNP-BC, ANVP-BC, FAHA, graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Northwestern Oklahoma State University, a master of science in nursing (family nurse practitioner) from Wichita State University, a postmaster’s certificate as an acute care nurse practitioner from the University of Nebraska Medical Center, doctor of nursing practice from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and doctor of philosophy from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center. In addition, Wendy completed a postgraduate neurovascular advanced practice fellowship program in 2013 from Arizona State University through the College of Nursing and Health Innovation. She has a wide range of clinical experience as a nurse practitioner, including primary care, pediatrics, neurosurgery, neuro intensive care unit (ICU), stroke program management, and acute stroke service in both inpatient and the mobile stroke unit.
How to Receive Credit
- View the entire recording which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.