Common Chronic Conditions in Older Adults, 2nd Edition
About the Course
This course examines eight major chronic illnesses that affect older adults and the methods used for assisting the older patient in managing the following types of illnesses: Cardiovascular diseases, Strokes, Chronic respiratory conditions, Neuromuscular disorders, Musculoskeletal problems, Endocrinological disorders, Skin conditions, and kidney disease.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe cardiovascular conditions common in the older adult population.
- Recognize risk factors and signs and symptoms of a stroke
- Describe medical management and pharmacological treatment options for a stroke.
- Compare and contrast the risk factors, signs and symptoms, medical management and pharmacological treatment, and nursing interventions for asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Identify methods to maintain optimal mobility for older adults who have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.
- List the consequences of musculoskeletal disorders on activities of daily living for older adults.
- Differentiate risk factors, signs and symptoms, medical management and pharmacological treatment, and nursing interventions for diabetes and hypothyroidism.
- Explain the challenges facing older adults diagnosed with skin conditions.
- Describe treatment methods for chronic kidney disease in the older adult.
- Evaluate the atypical clinical presentation and progression of common diseases found in older adults.
About the Author
Lisa Byrd PhD, FNP-C, GNP-C, FAANP, Gerontologist, is a Nurse Practitioner with more than 20 years of experience working with older patients in direct patient care. Experience in hands-on care in the outpatient setting, inpatient hospital setting, nursing home care, and telehealth. Dually board certified as both Family Nurse Practitioner and Geriatric Nurse Practitioner. Have previously worked in administrative roles as well as worked as a Nurse Educator working for over 10 years with AGNP programs at the University of South Alabama and previously worked with the University of Mississippi Medical Center. Actively teaching at the University of South Alabama teaching in the Masters and Doctoral level AGNP programs. Have organized and presented numerous educational offerings, including advanced practice nursing educational conferences. Have designed an Acute Care for Elders (ACE) hospital inpatient unit and served as consultant for the creation of a Seniors Emergency Department. Also have presented at national nursing as well as nurse practitioner conferences and have numerous publications in journals and nursing textbooks.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 9-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest*
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.?
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.?