Childhood Obesity in the 21st Century
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBook
About the Course:
The purpose of this course is to provide the learner with current evidenced-based information on the causes of childhood obesity and interventions to help promote healthy weight behaviors. Perspectives on family relationships, community offerings for physical activity, and healthy food options are included to provide a foundation for all HCPs in their practice settings. The content is divided by age groups to address specific growth and development issues. The course is applicable to all healthcare providers (HCP) regardless of clinical or academic role.
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Discuss the current epidemiology of childhood obesity.
- Identify ways to assess for both physical and psychosocial consequences of overweight and obesity across age groups.
- Compare evidenced-based weight-loss strategies for children 2 to 19 years of age.
- Examine the importance of the first 1000 days as a cornerstone in preventing childhood obesity.
- Select strategies appropriate for toddlers, preschoolers, school-age children, and adolescents whose weight trends exceed recommended goals.
About the Author:
Judi Daniels, PhD, FNP, PNP, FNAP, completed her Master of Science in nursing/family nurse practitioner program at Michigan State University and earned a PhD in nursing at the University of Kentucky in 2004. Throughout her nursing career, she has had a variety of clinical experiences. She is dual board certified in family medicine and pediatrics and was on the faculty at the University of Kentucky College of Nursing until she retired in September 2020. Her interest in obesity across the age span began in 2000 when she became aware of the growing problem in her clinical practice. Since that time, she has published on the topic, has presented at several state conferences, and has chaired doctoral projects on child and adult obesity. She was recognized in 2014 as an outstanding nurse educator for the state of Kentucky.
How to Receive Credit:
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 5-hour commitment of time.
- Complete the Self-Assessment Quiz Questions either integrated throughout or all at the end of the course.
- These questions are NOT GRADED. The questions are included to help affirm what you have learned from the course.
- The correct answer is shown after the question is answered. If the incorrect answer is selected, a Rationale for the correct answer is provided.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- If requested, provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory Nursing Course Evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
In accordance with the ANCC Standards for Commercial Support for continuing education, Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition ©2021: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up-to-date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
All individuals involved have disclosed that they have no significant financial or other conflicts of interest pertaining to this course. Likewise, and in compliance with California Assembly Bill No. 241, every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the content in this course is balanced and unbiased.