Challenging Patient Interactions: Conversations that Matter
About the Course
Communication is a perennial challenge in the world of healthcare. Healthcare professionals have their own filters, time constraints, and temperaments - so do patients. Uncertain and stressful situations, particularly healthcare-related, surfaces complicated emotions making meaningful communication between patients and clinicians difficult. Trust is the foundation of healthy communication. Addressing the issues that interfere with communication (e.g., mistrust, hostility, impatience, etc.) will help clinicians build trust with their patients and colleagues and improve communication.
In this course, healthcare professionals will master the tools needed to identify possible conflicts, acknowledge patient emotions, and engage in healthy communication strategies that benefit both patient and clinician.
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Examine circumstances that may lead to a stressful or challenging patient care situation.
- Recognize healthcare workers’ triggers and feelings regarding challenging patient interactions.
- Identify ways that the healthcare team can work better together interprofessionally to support each other and respond better during challenging situations.
About the Presenter
Dr. Heidi Moawad, MD, is a neurologist and medical writer. She has been writing educational materials for healthcare professionals and for the public for over 10 years. Dr. Moawad speaks at professional conferences and works with both undergraduate and medical students at Case Western Reserve University.
How to Receive Credit
- View the entire recording which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.