About Course #N1878
Release Date: December 20, 2017
Expiration Date: September 30, 2020
For nurses working in hospitals, placement of a vascular access device for infusion therapy is the most common invasive procedure. When appropriate care is not provided, it potentially affects clinical outcomes. This course is intended for nurses who administer infusion therapy in all healthcare settings. It focuses on the selection and placement of central vascular access devices (CVADs) as well as their ongoing care and maintenance in order to safely manage CVADs and reduce the risk for complications.
This course is an extract of, and should not be taken in conjunction with, course #N1785 - Infusion Therapy: Essentials for Safe Practice, 2nd Edition.
About the Author(s)
Lisa Gorski, MS, RN, HHCNS-BC, CRNI, FAAN, has worked as a clinical nurse specialist in home health since 1985. She currently works for Wheaton Franciscan Home Health and Hospice in Milwaukee, WI. She is the author of more than 40 published journal articles and books and frequently presents on infusion therapy-related topics across the country and internationally. Her primary areas of expertise include infusion therapy, home care, and care of chronically ill adult patients. She served as the 2007-2008 president of the Infusion Nurses Society (INS), is an editor for the INS textbook Infusion Nursing in Clinical Practice: An Evidence-based Approach, and served as the chairperson of the 2011 and 2016 INS Infusion Therapy Standards of Practice Committee. She is currently the chairperson for the Infusion Nurses Certification Corporation Board of Directors and also serves on the editorial board for Home Healthcare Now. Ms. Gorski was inducted as a fellow in the American Academy of Nursing in 2006 and was awarded the CNS of the Year award in 2011 by the National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- Lisa Gorski has disclosed that she is on the speakers' bureau for Genentech and has served on advisory boards for Baxter, Teleflex, ivWatch, and Hospira. She also serves as a speaker for 3M and BD Medical. Western Schools ensures that this content is free from bias and commercial influence through its peer review process.
Find Central Vascular Access Devices: Placement, Care and Maintenance - N1878 in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- US Virgin Islands
- Washington DC
- West Virginia