Best Practices for Skin and Wound Care: An Interdisciplinary Approach
About the Course
This intermediate – level course contains twenty, 1-hour course video modules which pertain to all areas of skin and wound care management for nursing and other healthcare providers. The course includes anatomy and physiology of the skin, soft tissues and wound healing; skin and wound assessment and staging; bioburden principles and topical agents for wound care; evidenced-based intervention approaches such as debridement, negative pressure therapy, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, and nutrition; plan of care with skin and wound management among special populations such as diabetes, burns, lymphedema; roles and responsibilities of the interdisciplinary wound care team. References and practice tests are provides to engage the learner in knowledge competence.
Upon the completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Examine the anatomy, structure, and function of the skin and underlying tissues.
- Discuss the stages of wound healing and the principles of wound management.
- Identify various wound healing techniques including but not limited to biologic agents, ultrasound, wound vac., and hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
- Describe the indications and contraindications for wound debridement.
- Describe chronic disease processes and how they relate to wound management.
- Explain the best treatment options for non-traditional wounds including but not limited to those from: burns, lymphedema and lipedema.
- Identify the effects of psychological state on wound care.
- Describe how to properly measure and document wound characteristics.
- Examine the benefits of an interdisciplinary approach to wound healing.
- Discuss legal issues in wound care practice.
- Identify age related changes in the skin as it relates to wound healing and management.
- Define and describe evidence-based practices in wound care and the research-practice gap.
About the Authors
Amy Bayliff, PT, MPT, CWS, FACCES
Tara Beuscher, DNP, GCNS-BC, ANP-BC, CWOCN, CFCN
Bettina Brown, MPT, MHA, CWS, CLT
Janette Dietzler-Otte DNP, RN, CWS, CWON
Judy Gates, MSN, RN, BC, CWS, FACCWS
Emily Greenstein, APRN, CNP, CWON-AP, FACCWS
Melania Howell DNP, RN, AGCNS-BC, CWOCN, DAPWCA
Stephani Hunt, MSN, RN, WCC, OMS, ONC, CFCN
April Lumpkins, AGACNP-BC CWOCN-AP CFCN
How to Receive Credit
- Watch the entire course lessons online or in print which requires a 20-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest*
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.?
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.?
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.?