Asthma Management and Patient Education
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBookAbout the Course:
Asthma is a disease that can be controlled and managed but doing so requires involvement by the person with asthma and their family. Symptoms are constantly changing in response to the weather, exposure to environmental and other triggers, and changes in the individual. Recognition of early warning signs and prompt treatment are key aspects of asthma control. This course focuses on the content and process of individual- and family-centered asthma education.
After completing this chapter, the learner will be able to:
- Examine national goals for education about asthma and current gaps in reaching those goals.
- Evaluate approaches to asthma education.
- Examine the elements of culturally competent asthma education.
- Apply behavior change theory in providing asthma education.
- Compare and contrast evaluation methods for asthma management education.
About the Author:
Judith Quaranta, PhD, RN, CPN, AE-C, FNAP, is an Associate Professor in the Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences, Binghamton University. She received her PhD from the Decker School of Nursing, with her dissertation focusing on asthma management of school nurses. Dr. Quaranta’s research focus is on barriers and facilitators for asthma management as well as factors that impact asthma and asthma development. As a Train the Trainer for the American Lung Association’s Open Airways for Schools curriculum, she has worked collaboratively with the Broome County Health Department, the Asthma Coalition of the Southern Tier, United Health Services Hospital, and the local American Lung Association to implement this program in local schools. She has presented at multiple national conferences on the topic of asthma and self-management. Dr. Quaranta has also authored manuscripts for numerous journals including the Public Health Nursing, Journal of School Nursing, Journal of Asthma and Allergy Educators, Online Journal of Rural Nursing, Journal of Family Social Work, Journal of Interprofessional Care, as well authored chapters in textbooks on research and community and public health.
How to Receive Credit:
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- Complete the Self-Assessment Quiz Questions either integrated throughout or all at the end of the course.
- These questions are NOT GRADED. The questions are included to help affirm what you have learned from the course.
- The correct answer is shown after the question is answered. If the incorrect answer is selected, a Rationale for the correct answer is provided.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- If requested, provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory Nursing Course Evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
In accordance with the ANCC Standards for Commercial Support for continuing education, Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition ©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up-to-date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the content in this course is balanced and unbiased.