A Center of Care: The Critical Access Hospital Model
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBook
About the Course
As the largest segment of the rural healthcare workforce, nurses provide much of all healthcare to the sixty-five million people who live and work in remote and resource poor settings (Rural Health Information Hub, 2020). Rural populations experience inequities in health and healthcare with higher rates of chronic illness, higher poverty levels, disruptions in access to quality healthcare, and tend to have higher proportions of elderly residents than urban populations (Rural Health Information Hub, 2020). This course provides the overview of Critical Access Hospitals as well as provides evidence and strategies to help rural nursing practicing in these underserved environments.
Upon completion of the course the learner will:
- Have an enhanced understanding of the Critical Access Hospital (CAH) model.
- Be able to identify and evaluate the conditions contributing to inequities in CAH outcomes.
- Be able to identify the basic functions and services of a CAH.
- Be able to articulate their role and responsibilities as a rural nurse to participate in the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) compliance reviews.
- Be able to analyze through a self-reflection process how they might advance their competencies as a CAH nurse.
- Be able to relate the 2021 American Nurses Associations 18 Standards of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance to nursing practice in CAHs.
- Describe the six competencies of the Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) project that can be applied to rural nursing practice in a CAH setting.
- Be able to identify similarities between quality measures in nursing and quality measures from the (CMS).
About the Author
Michele Sare, DNP, MSN, RN, has been an RN for over 40 years. She is an author and educator who has focused her career on advancing health in rural and resource-poor communities in nine states and five countries. She served for 12 years as a teaching professor in the U.S. and taught nursing in rural Haiti and rural Mongolia. With more than 30 years of experience teaching and training in the healthcare field, she has dedicated her career to advancing education as a pathway to reduce disparities and inequities. That work intensified after surviving and serving as a lead at the heart of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, as she was witness to true disparity and the need to help advance nursing education. The focus of her work in the past 22 years has been to advance health and healthcare through education with a focus on rural and global health.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical k