About Course #L1000
Review Date: January 1, 2020
Expiration Date: January 1, 2023
Designed for dentists, dental hygienists, and dental assistants, this intermediate-level course will review the pharmacology and current state of medicinal marijuana as it relates to oral health care. The information presented in this course should be considered essential knowledge for all OHCPs, both seasoned and newly credentialed.
AGD Subject Code: 130
- Explain the botanical background and cultural history of marijuana (Cannabis sativa).
- Discuss the misuse of marijuana.
- Summarize the effects of marijuana.
- Describe common medicinal uses and the evidence of effectiveness of marijuana.
- Identify the current status of legalization of marijuana for medicinal and recreational use and its impact on healthcare systems.
About the Author(s)
Mark Donaldson, BSP, RPH, PharmD, FASHP, FACHE, received his baccalaureate degree from the University of British Columbia (UBC) and his doctorate in clinical pharmacy from the University of Washington. He has further completed a residency at Canada’s largest tertiary care facility, Vancouver General Hospital, and is the current associate vice president of clinical pharmacy at Vizient Pharmacy Advisory Solutions. Dr. Donaldson is a clinical professor in the Department of Pharmacy at the University of Montana in Missoula, clinical associate professor in the School of Dentistry at the Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, and affiate faculty at the School of Dentistry at UBC in Vancouver. He has a special interest in dental pharmacology and has lectured internationally to both dental and medical practitioners. Dr. Donaldson has a number of published works in the peer-reviewed literature and has co-authored several textbook chapters. He spent 3 years in Japan focusing on cross-cultural communication and internationalization. He currently serves on the Editorial Board for the Journal of the American Dental Association and Healthcare Executive and is a reviewer for various other journals. He is board certified in healthcare management and is the past-president and current regent of the American College of Healthcare Executives’ Montana Chapter. In 2019, Dr. Donaldson received the Special Friend of Canadian Dentistry award from the Canadian Dental Association.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.