About Course #L0980
Release Date: December 12, 2018
Expiration Date: December 12, 2021
This course will discuss ways in which healthcare providers can incorporate humor into care of individuals and their families. To support the suggestions regarding humor in practice, this text offers discussion of various studies pointing out the efficacy of humor in health care. The target population for this basic-level course is any dental professional who works with patients, as well as any healthcare provider who wants to improve his or her knowledge of therapeutic humor.
AGD Subject Code: 130
- Discuss the meaning of humor and the theories of humor.
- Discuss the evolution of humor in health care.
- Describe how humor develops from infancy to adulthood.
- Explain how humor can be used in the dental setting to benefit patients and their providers.
- Recognize the psychobiological and psychosocial effects of humor.
- Describe how humor can affect the immune system, physiological health, and pain management.
- Discuss how humor can be helpful to individuals with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.
- Discuss the effective use of humor in psychiatric settings.
- Describe different types of formal humor programs and the concerns and considerations related to implementing such a program.
- Discuss ways to engage in humorous interchanges with patients, colleagues, and other healthcare providers.
Western Schools designates this activity for 8 continuing education credits.
Mary Bennett, DNS, APRN
Debra Rose Wilson, PhD, MSN, RN, IBCLC, AHN-BC, CHT
Lynette S. Smith, PhD, PMHNP, FNP
Sherry Lovan, PhD, MSN, RN
Dr. Tom Gerner, DDS,
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
Find Humor in Dentistry - L0980 in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- US Virgin Islands
- Washington DC
- West Virginia