Release Date: February 15th, 2020
Expiration Date: February 14th, 2023
After completing this basic-level course, the learner will be able to discuss the most commonly used herbal medicines in the United States. A stoplight approach to risk assessment is discussed and a general strategy to avoid the most common herbal-drug interactions is suggested. Critical patient populations are emphasized and specific herbal-drug interactions that can lead to increased bleeding, decreased blood glucose levels, and sedation changes are discussed. This course is specifically designed for all members of the dental healthcare team: dentists, dental hygienists, and dental assistants.
1. Describe the prevalence and risk for interactions involving herbal medications.
2. List the herbal medications and drugs of greatest concern to dental professionals.
3. Describe the ways in which levels of risk for herbal-drug interactions are evaluated.
4. Identify the medical and dental implications for drug interactions with specific herbal medications.
5. Discuss the special considerations of herbal-drug interactions for pregnant or breastfeeding dental patients.