About Course #L0949
Release Date: August 28, 2018
Expiration Date: August 28, 2021
This course satisfies the 1-hour Iowa jurisprudence requirement.
This course provides dental professionals strong understanding of dental ethics, professionalism, and current ethical challenges, with a particular emphasis on the impact of the digital age. Dentists, Dental Hygienists, and Dental Assistants will learn the tools to recognize and navigate the complex ethical issues that may arise in practice.
AGD Subject Code: 555
- Describe the evolution of healthcare ethics, including events that affected development of the principles of ethics that guide the dental profession.
- Describe how codes of ethics and concepts of professionalism guide the dental practitioner's relationships and obligations.
- Identify current and emerging ethical challenges facing dental professionals.
- Describe how ethical decision-making models help dental professionals recognize and address ethical dilemmas in practice.
Western Schools designates this activity for 1 continuing education credit.
About the Author(s)
Toni M. Roucka, RN, DDS, MA, is an associate professor and associate dean for academic affairs at Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine in Alton, Illinois. She is a Fellow of the American College of Dentists and current president of the American Society for Dental Ethics, a special section of the American College of Dentists. Dr. Roucka obtained her DDS degree from the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry and master's degree in population health - bioethics from the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.