Dental caries is a preventable disease that affects a majority of the population The impact of nutrition on the caries process is known in the dental field, but dental professionals need to continue to convey the importance of this relationship to patients. Working This basic-level course is intended to equip all members of the dental team with knowledge and skills to aid in the prevention of dental caries and help maintain patients’ overall health by offering nutritional counseling and behavior modification techniques.
1. Describe the caries process and methods for its detection.
2. List the oral care habits recommended by the American Dental Association.
3. Assess the dietary choices that affect individual caries risk.
4. Identify the factors that influence patient diets.
5. Recognize populations at increased risk for caries.
6. Describe caries prevention products and procedures.
7. Explain the use of personalized patient care and nutritional counseling to decrease incidence of caries.