About Course #L0928
Release Date: March 13, 2019
Expiration Date: March 13, 2022
This basic-level course is designed for dentists, dental hygienists, and dental assistants interested in becoming more knowledgeable and proficient in the use and application of dental dams. The course outlines the benefits of using dental dams in clinical practice, provides an overview of the types of dental dams currently available, and describes the equipment needed to use dams successfully. The steps for standard, quickdam, and slit dam application, inversion, and removal are identified. Minor challenges, such as maneuvering around a bridge, are also addressed.
AGD Subject Code: 250
- Describe the extent and benefit of dental dam use.
- Describe the types of dental dams available in terms of size, color, and thickness (gauge).
- Identify the armamentarium used in conjunction with dental dams, including frames, punches, clamps, and ligature.
- Recognize the techniques used to stabilize, apply, invert, and remove various types of dental dams.
- Describe the challenges in using dental dams, including maneuvering around bridges and creating temporary interproximal space.
Western Schools designates this activity for 2 continuing education credits.
About the Author
Ellen Dietz-Bourguignon, BS, CDA-Emeritus, earned her bachelor of science degree in allied health educaÂtion in dental auxiliary utilization and a community college teaching certificate from the State University of New York at Buffalo. She began her dental career as an associate-degreed certified dental assistant in private pracÂtice. Following a 7-year dental assisting teaching career at Orange County Community College, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Erie County Board of Cooperative Educational Services, and Niagara County Community College, she began writing on dental topics for Dental Assisting Magazine, eventually rising to the position of managing editor.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
Find Application and Removal of Dental Dams, 3rd Edition - L0928 in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- US Virgin Islands
- Washington DC
- West Virginia