When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Release Date: May 31, 2017
Expiration Date: May 31, 2020
This basic course assists healthcare professionals in encouraging, teaching, and guiding older adults to actively practice healthy lifestyles. This course provides physical therapists, as well as other healthcare professionals that work with older adults, additional knowledge in geriatrics, enabling learners to provide satisfactory care that improves outcomes for older adults. Healthcare professionals will be able to recognize the needs of older adult clients and develop person-centered plans to support optimal living and promote healthy aging. Additionally, this course will set the stage for developing a healthier society for all to age well and successfully.
California PTs & PTAs - Approved by the Physical Therapy Board of California through Net Education Design, Inc., an agency recognized by the board to approved courses that meet Physical Therapy Regulations 1399.96.
Texas PTs & PTAs - This activity is provided by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners Accredited Provider #1911021TX and meets continuing competence requirements for PT & PTA license renewal in Texas.
Ohio PTs & PTAs - Approval #18S7500 (6/26/18 to 6/26/19)
Florida & Indiana PTs & PTAs – PT boards in your state accept this course based on pre-approval by the Ohio PT Association.
New Jersey PTs & PTAs - Approval #1808-101 (2/1/18 - 1/31/20)
Pennsylvania PTs & PTAs - Pennsylvania PT Board Approved, #PTCE013515, for 9 general hours & 1 direct access hour. (Exp 12/31/18)
- Identify key concepts for healthy living.
- Identify the key attributes for supporting the older adult to stay healthy.
- Identify the common health conditions associated with aging.
- Identify essential components of providing high-quality health care for older adults.
- Identify key elements that constitute a safe environment for older adults.
Fayron Epps, PhD, RN, has been a registered nurse for 16 years. She recently completed her postdoctoral fellowship with the National Hartford Center of Gerontological Nursing Excellence. She is currently employed as an Assistant Professor at Georgia State University. Additionally, Dr. Epps serves as adjunct faculty with the Louisiana State University Life Course and Aging Center. She is an active member with numerous professional organizations, including the Gerontological Society of America, National Gerontological Nurses Association, and International Dementia Scholars Collaborative. Most recently she has been elected to the Board of Directors for Louisiana Enhancing Aging with Dignity through Empowerment and Respect (LEADER). Dr. Epps’ career goal as a nurse scholar is to promote health across the life span by increasing the quality of life for family caregivers and recognizing the multidimensional complexities of supporting older adults through nursing research, education, and service. Her program of research involves evidence-based practices for promoting quality of life for persons with dementia and their family caregivers. Dr. Epps has presented her research at local, regional, and national conferences. In addition, she has published in the Journal of Religion, Spirituality & Aging, Geriatric Nursing, Journal of Gerontological Nursing, Research in Gerontological Nursing, and Journal of Research Practice.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.