When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Start Date: May 25, 2017
Expiration Date: May 25, 2020
Consumers have difficulty evaluating the literature and making appropriate choices with regard to the uses, dosing, adverse effects, interactions, and product quality of probiotics. Unfortunately, many patients purchase products online or from a store where no pharmacist or healthcare professional is present. Several myths regarding probiotic use are perpetuated on reports found on the Internet. Pharmacists who are knowledgeable about probiotics can assist patients in the appropriate use of these products to achieve better health.
Universal Activity Number (UAN) - 0607-0000-17-021-H01-P
Type of Activity - Knowledge
Topic Designator - 01 – Disease State Management/Drug Therapy
- Identify common organisms in probiotics and prebiotics responsible for their effectiveness.
- Describe potential uses of probiotics and prebiotics using the evidence for their effectiveness.
- Identify common adverse effects and safety concerns when using probiotics and prebiotics.
- Apply practical considerations of probiotic and prebiotic use to the education of patients using these products.
- Compare the use of probiotics and prebiotics to other products, including foods, used for the same conditions.
Peggy Piascik, PhD, RPh, received her Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy from Ohio Northern University (ONU) and a PhD in Pharmacology from The Ohio State University (OSU) College of Pharmacy. She is a Professor of Pharmacy Practice and Science at the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy (UKCOP). Dr. Piascik speaks at continuing education conferences on the topics of new drugs, dietary supplements, and personalized medicine. She teaches a problem-based elective course in the area of herbal and dietary supplements and co-coordinates an elective course in behavior modification coaching. Dr. Piascik is a past president of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP). She is a four-time recipient of the UKCOP Senior Class Teaching Award and two-time recipient of the AACP Innovations in Teaching Award, and she was named a University Great Teacher by the UK Alumni Association. Dr. Piascik is also a Distinguished Alumnus of ONU and the recipient of the Jack L. Beal Post-Baccalaureate Award from OSU.
- Contact hours will be awarded for up to one (1) year from date of purchase or through the expiration date indicated above, whichever date comes first.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and have your record transmitted to your NABP e-Profile account.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- Gary Kracoff has disclosed that he is on the advisory committee for Boiron USA and is Medical Director at the Academy of Integrative Medicine. He has agreed to present content that is current, evidence based, and without bias.