When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Start Date: May 8, 2017
Expiration Date: May 8, 2020
The evolution of integrative care has changed the way patients are focused on improving their health and wellness. It is essential that pharmacists have an understanding of integrative health and those products and practices that have been shown to be effective therapeutic measures. Complementary alternative medicine includes the natural products used to supplement the diet defined by the Food and Drug Administration as Dietary Supplements as well as alternative health systems and mind-body practices. Pharmacists need to have evidence-based contemporary knowledge about complementary therapies to advise patients who seek them for a variety of health conditions.
Universal Activity Number (UAN) - 0607-0000-17-019-H01-P
Type of Activity - Knowledge
Topic Designator - 01 – Disease State Management/Drug Therapy
- Define common terms used to describe the use of dietary supplements and alternative medical practices.
- Describe trends in the use of dietary supplements and alternative practices in the United States.
- List the reasons why patients and healthcare providers choose complementary and alternative products and practices.
- Identify quality sources of information to evaluate evidence for the safety and efficacy of dietary supplements and alternative practices.
Peggy Piascik, PhD, RPh, received her Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy from Ohio Northern University (ONU) and a PhD in Pharmacology from The Ohio State University (OSU) College of Pharmacy. She is a Professor of Pharmacy Practice and Science at the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy (UKCOP). Dr. Piascik speaks at continuing education conferences on the topics of new drugs, dietary supplements, and personalized medicine. She teaches a problem-based elective course in the area of herbal and dietary supplements and co-coordinates an elective course in behavior modification coaching. Dr. Piascik is a past president of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP). She is a four-time recipient of the UKCOP Senior Class Teaching Award and two-time recipient of the AACP Innovations in Teaching Award, and she was named a University Great Teacher by the UK Alumni Association. Dr. Piascik is also a Distinguished Alumnus of ONU and the recipient of the Jack L. Beal Post-Baccalaureate Award from OSU.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and have your record transmitted to your NABP e-Profile account.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.