When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Release Date: October 24, 2018
Expiration Date: October 31, 2021
This course describes the scope and history of prescription medication misuse in the United States, the pharmacology of commonly abused medications and potential indicators of prescription medication abuse. This course provides intervention, treatment, and prevention strategies nurses can use when prescribing medications or treating a patient that is misusing a controlled substance.
- Describe the history and scope of prescription medication abuse.
- Identify appropriate terminology used when discussing prescription medication abuse.
- Explain the pharmacology, physiology, and regulatory control of the prescription drugs that are most commonly abused and the extent and impact of their nonmedical use.
- Identify the populations most at risk for abusing prescription medications and their access to these medications.
- Describe best practices regarding the initiation of treatment and management of patients prescribed opioid-based therapies for chronic pain.
- Explain the role of the professional nurse.
Maryam Mamou, BSN, RN, CWOCN, has over 30 years of clinical experience that includes acute care, rehabilitation care, and home health care. She has provided care to patients with acute and chronic pain issues in both inpatient and outpatient settings. She is currently employed as a nurse consultant with the state of Wisconsin, and her work includes staying apprised of regulations pertaining to substance administration and substance abuse.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.