When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Release Date: May 24, 2018
Expiration Date: May 31, 2021
The perioperative nurse provides care during the following three phases of the surgical experience: preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative phases. As perioperative nurses need competence in a wide variety of surgical specialties, it may take several years of exposure and hands-on experience before they are able to function independently. This course provides the knowledge and skills required to safely and effectively navigate the perioperative environment.
- Discuss the role and responsibilities of the nurse in assessing and preparing the patient for surgery and improving patient care during the surgical experience.
- Identify the risks and benefits associated with positioning the patient during surgical care, and the nurse’s role in preventing surgical site infections and maintaining aseptic practices.
- Explain nursing standards and hospital procedures designed to reduce the incidence of retained surgical items and methods to aid surgical hemostasis.
- Identify considerations affecting surgical wound healing, and nursing management of postoperative wounds.
- Discuss the role of the perioperative nurse in ensuring the safe administration of anesthesia medication.
- Describe the recommended practices for maintaining a safe care environment for perioperative patients, nurses, and other healthcare personnel.
Terri Goodman, PhD, RN, CNOR is a perioperative nursing education consultant. Her clinical practice focused on plastic and reconstructive surgery, and she has held positions from Staff Nurse to Director in acute care settings. Since 1992, she has focused on nursing education in acute care facilities, for Johnson and Johnson, and as an independent consultant. Terri is active in AORN both at the chapter and national levels, has published frequently in peer-reviewed nursing journals, contributed chapters to textbooks and study guides, and has delivered presentations on a wide variety of topics both nationally and internationally.
Cynthia Spry, MA, RN, CNOR, CSIT has been a perioperative nurse for more than twenty-five years, with seven and a half years as an OR Educator and five years as a Director of Surgical Services. Currently, she is an International Clinical Consultant for Advanced Sterilization Products, a Johnson & Johnson Company. In my present position, I provide consultation and education in sterilization, disinfection, and infection control in the United States and in many other countries. I am a Past President of the (national) Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) and in 2002 received the Association's highest award, The Award for Excellence in Perioperative Nursing.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.