When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Release Date: February 26, 2018
Expiration Date: February 25, 2021
Sleep difficulties can occur in up to 50% of all children in the Unites States. Yet only 5% of children in a national chart review received a treatment recommendation for a sleep disorder and children with a sleep disorder had significantly more sick visits/calls than those who did not have a sleep problem. Sleep disturbances and issues have been shown to be correlated with obesity, behavioral problems in school and other somatic issues. This course will provide the essential pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnostic procedures and treatment modalities for common sleep disorders which effect the pediatric population. It is geared toward all nurses regardless of level of education and/or practice.
- Discuss the physiology of pediatric sleep.
- Describe the normal sleep development in children.
- Identify the three areas evaluated in scoring sleep.
- Describe common pediatric sleep issues, including the symptoms, causes, diagnosis, and management.
Margaret-Ann Carno, PhD, MBA, MJ, CPNP, D,ABSM, FAAN, is a professor of clinical nursing and pediatrics at the University of Rochester School of Nursing and a nurse practitioner at the Pediatrics Sleep Medicine Services – Golisano Children’s Hospital, University of Rochester Medical Center, in Rochester, New York. Dr. Carno is one of only a few PhD-prepared nurses to be boarded by the American Board of Sleep Medicine. She has been trained in sleep medicine across the life span and has lectured nationally on sleep issues both in pediatrics and across the life span. She has served on committees for the American Association of Sleep Medicine and the American Thoracic Society.
- Contact hours will be awarded for up to one (1) year from date of purchase or through the expiration date indicated above, whichever date comes first.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.