When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Expiration Date: August 31, 2017
To provide this care, a nurse requires skill and a solid and updated knowledge base for membership in a team that targets prevention, screening, diagnosis, and treatment.This course covers many of the complexities of state-of-the-art cancer care including information on the epidemiology of cancer and cancer treatments.
This course is an extraction of, and should not be taken in conjunction with, N1460 Cancer Nursing: A Solid Foundation for Practice, 3rd Edition.
Describe what is currently known about carcinogenesis, cell biology, and tumor cell characteristics, which provide the foundation for an understanding of cancer prevention, detection, and treatment.
- Discuss chemotherapy agents – how they work, why they are ordered as part of treatment regimens, and how they should be safely handled.
- Discuss selected targeted therapies for selected malignancies, along with their mechanisms of action.
- Discuss common venous access devices, their care and maintenance, and ways to troubleshoot common problems associated with their use.
Ellen Carr, RN, MSN, AOCN, is currently surgical nurse case manager at the Moores Cancer Center of the University of California, San Diego. She has been a healthcare writer for the past 25 years, specializing in clinical nursing, therapeutic and diagnostic technologies, and patient advocacy. She continues to contribute to communication projects championing clinical oncology nurses, evidence-based research, and oncology nurse navigator practice standards.
Ellen Carr graduated from the University of Colorado, Boulder, with a BS in journalism, and the MGH Institute of Health Professions in Boston, Massachusetts, with an MSN in oncology nursing. She holds advanced oncology nursing certification from the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) and is a local and national member of ONS.
- Contact hours will be awarded for up to one (1) year from date of purchase or through the expiration date indicated above, whichever date comes first.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.