When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Release Date: June 1, 2017
Expiration: May 31, 2020
Fish oil is currently one of the top dietary supplements used by adults and children in the United States. Many uses have been proposed for fish oil supplements ranging from lowering blood pressure to improving cognitive health. Dietitians who are knowledgeable about omega-3 fatty acid supplements can assist patients in the appropriate use of these products to achieve better health. This evidence-based course provides in-depth information on this supplement including the uses, dosing, adverse effects, interactions, and comparisons with other products used for same conditions.
This self-study activity has been pre-approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) for 3 CPEU hours, Level 2.
- Discuss the effectiveness of fish oil and other omega-3 fatty acid-containing supplements in treating and preventing disease.
- List potential uses of fish oil and other omega-3 fatty acid-containing supplements based on the evidence for their effectiveness.
- Explain common adverse effects and safety concerns when using fish oil and other omega-3 fatty acid-containing supplements.
- Apply practical considerations of the use of fish oil and other omega-3 fatty acid-containing supplements to the education of patients using these products.
- Compare the use of fish oil and other omega-3 fatty acid-containing supplements with other products used for the same conditions.
Peggy Piascik, PhD, RPh, received her Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy from Ohio Northern University (ONU) and a PhD in Pharmacology from The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy. Dr. Piascik is a Professor of Pharmacy Practice and Science at the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy (UKCOP). Dr. Piascik speaks at continuing education conferences on the topics of new drugs, dietary supplements, and personalized medicine. She teaches a problem-based elective course in the area of herbal and dietary supplements, and co-coordinates an elective course in behavior modification coaching. Dr. Piascik is a past-president of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP). She is a four-time recipient of the UKCOP Senior Class Teaching Award, twotime recipient of the AACP Innovations in Teaching Award, and was named a University Great Teacher by the University of Kentucky Alumni Association. Dr. Piascik is also a Distinguished Alumnus of ONU and the recipient of the Jack L. Beal Post-Baccalaureate Award from The Ohio State University.
- Contact hours will be awarded for up to one (1) year from date of purchase or through the expiration date indicated above, whichever date comes first.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- Gary Kracoff has disclosed that he is on the advisory committee for Boiron USA and is Medical Director at the Academy of Integrative Medicine. He has agreed to present content that is current, evidence based, and without bias.