When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Original Release Date: May 9, 2011
Review Date: May 7, 2014
Expiration Date: May 6, 2017
This course describes several behavioral techniques effective in guiding fearful dental patients into accepting dental treatment. These nonpharmacological techniques may be used with unduly anxious patients, individuals with specific or general fears of a dental environment and dental phobics. The course addresses the needs of fearful pediatric patients, persons with disabilities including medical or mental disorders and the frail and elderly and discusses appropriate behavioral guidance for these individuals.
AGD Subject Code: 153
Western Schools designates this activity for 3 continuing education credits.
- Discuss the etiology and significance of dental fear.
- Identify behavioral signs and symptoms exhibited by the fearful patient.
- Explain how the dental team’s demeanor and the office ambiance can be perceived by the fearful patient.
- Describe several nonpharmacological techniques and strategies used to help relieve patients’ stress and anxiety.
- Describe nonpharmacological techniques used to help relieve stress and anxiety in children, older adults, and people with physical or mental impairment.
- Identify the advantages and limitations of nonpharmacological treatment strategies.
L. Anne Hirschel, DDS, received her DDS from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry and a BDS from the University College Dental School, University of London, England, as well as an LDS from the Royal College of Surgeons in England. She is a fellow of the Royal Society of Health and a member of both the American Dental Association and the American Medical Writers Association.
- Courses must be completed within 1 year of the date of purchase or by the expiration date indicated above, whichever date comes first.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.