When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Release Date: July 30, 2013
Review Date: July 5, 2016
Expiration Date: July 4, 2019
Poor nutrition can lead to caries, periodontal problems, and loss of teeth and bone. In addition, nutritional problems can put our patients at risk for certain systemic diseases and conditions such as heart problems, cancer, stroke and diabetes. This basic-level course reviews several important areas concerning proper nutrition for the dental patient including antioxidants, sugars, fats, the special nutritional needs of pregnant patients, and the intake of mercury, calcium and Vitamin D.
AGD Subject Code: 150
Western Schools designates this activity for 3 continuing education credits.
- Identify different antioxidants and their dietary sources.
- List several sugar substitutes.
- Describe different types of fats.
- Describe the role of dietary mercury.
- Explain the importance of calcium and vitamin D.
- Describe the special dietary needs and concerns of pregnant dental patients.
Ronald M. Mancini, DDS, maintains a private dental practice in Bethesda, Maryland. He is a member of the American Dental Association (ADA), the Maryland State Dental Association (MSDA), and the Southern Maryland Dental Society (SMDS). Dr. Mancini has held several positions with the SMDS, including those of trustee, president, vice president, treasurer, and editor, as well as serving as a delegate and head of the delegation to the MSDA House of Delegates.
- Courses must be completed within one (1) year of the date of purchase or by the expiration date indicated above, whichever date comes first.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.