When available, the Online Course format is included with the hard copy, eBook, or audio book formats!
Review Date: January 10, 2018
Expiration Date: January 9, 2021
Original Release Date: January 13, 2012
This is a basic laser operations course for every member of the dental team. This course provides outlines for safety regulations, discusses varying laser instruments, and the unique effects of laser energy on oral tissue. It also compares benefits and drawbacks of laser use. Several different clinical procedures are included with raw photo documentation. Every laser device is especially designed for a unique dental condition. A practicing clinician must understand each these devices and their power to interact with their target tissues. Whether the laser is removing decay, reshaping the gingiva, removing lesions or used in a whitening procedure, the same underlying principle of laser use apply. In this course, the fundamental principle taught is that the least amount of energy or power should be used to reach the specific treatment outcome.
AGD Subject Code: 752
Western Schools designates this activity for 2 continuing education credits.
- Discuss the evolving use of lasers in the field of dentistry and their fundamental components.
- Explain how lasers interact with oral tissues.
- Describe the lasers currently available for use in dentistry and their specific clinical applications.
- Identify recommended laser safety protocols.
- Recognize the benefits and drawbacks of using lasers in dentistry.
- Discuss the use of lasers in various dental specialties.
Donald J. Coluzzi, DDS, is a health science clinical professor in the Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences at the University of California, San Francisco, School of Dentistry. Dr. Coluzzi received his DDS from the University of Southern California School of Dentistry in 1970 and was in general practice for more than 35 years. He is a charter member and past president of the Academy of Laser Dentistry (ALD), a former editor-in-chief of the Journal of Laser Dentistry, a Fellow of the American College of Dentists, and a Master of the Academy of Laser Dentistry. The ALD presented him with the 1999 Leon Goldman Award for Clinical Excellence and the 2006 Distinguished Service Award. Dr. Coluzzi has used dental lasers since early 1991 and has earned Advanced Proficiency in Nd:YAG and Er:YAG wavelengths. He has presented around the world on the subject of lasers, co-authored three books, contributed textbook chapters, and published several peer-reviewed articles.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools’ policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.